Thursday, April 29, 2010

Square Foot Construction Costs

So...it's a couple of days late, but it's been miserable cold and rainy here in MA and I just wasn't feeling the blog thing the past couple of days. Anyway, here's the breakdown of what I spent on the construction material and start-up costs on my SFG:

2"x10" pine boards for box frame: $19.24
3/4" x 1/4" pine lathe for grid: $12.15
3'x5' weed mat: $9.92
6 cu. ft. peat moss: $17.92
32 qt. perlite: $15.88
4.5 cu. ft. organic cow compost: $14.82
64 qt. vermiculite: $31.76
---------
Box construction total: $121.69


White onion set: $1.68
Beet seeds: $1.50
Lettuce seeds: $1.50
Carrot seeds: $1.00
-------
Plant totals so far: $5.68

Because I was in such a hurry to get my box built and planted with the stuff that I was running late on, I only picked up the seeds that I absolutely needed to get started. Over the next week, I'll pick up the rest of the seeds that I need. Next weekend I'll start shopping for the plants that will need to go in.

With all of this cold weather I've been kind of fretting about the poor little seeds I planted on Monday. I have to keep reminding myself that the stuff I put in was scheduled to go in before the last frost, so it should be just fine. I need to learn to trust in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment